
Treasured exhibits have reportedly been moved to safety at Florence's world-famous Uffizi Gallery following a cyberattack earlier this year.
According to a report published on Friday in the Corriere della Sera daily, the unknown perpetrators have already attempted to use the stolen data to extort money from the museum in northern Italy.
The museum – which attracts more than 5 million visitors a year – has sealed some doorways and emergency exits, the newspaper reported.
In many museums around the world, fears of break-ins have been high since the spectacular heist at the Louvre in Paris, where part of the French crown jewels were stolen in October last year.
Investigative circles suggest hackers have repeatedly managed to breach the Uffizi’s internal database since February.
In the process, they gained access not only to passwords and login details for the photo archive but also to detailed floor plans and the locations of surveillance cameras.
The Corriere della Sera report said valuable items from the treasury of the Grand Dukes of Tuscany have been moved from the Uffizi to a vault in the Banca d'Italia.
After toilet and email issues, Artemis II astronauts fire engine to head for the moon
Metropolitan Greatness: The 6 Urban areas for Quality Living in 2024
Foods with healthy-sounding buzzwords could be hiding added sugar in plain sight
Former biotech CEO sued over COVID vaccine alleged insider trading
A Gustav Klimt painting is now the most expensive piece of modern art sold at auction. The fascinating history behind the $236 million 'Portrait of Elisabeth Lederer.'
Manual for Savvy Home Lighting Framework: Lights up Your Space
UN panel says Israel operating 'de facto policy of torture'
Video Conferencing Instruments for Virtual Gatherings
Audits of 6 Specialty Mixed drinks













